Scientist – Research and Lab Services
Title: Scientist – Research and Lab Services
Classification: Full Time, Salary (Exempt)
Location: Redmond, OR
Reports to: Senior Scientist
Department: Quality Assurance
Oregon's Wild Harvest is a proud family-owned & operated company dedicated to growing, sourcing, and manufacturing the highest quality herbal supplements possible. Everything we do – from rigorous testing and standards to our regenerative farming practices – is done from the heart. Our mission is to offer safe and effective herbal medicine rooted in science and tradition. If you have a passion for healthy plants, people, and planet, please apply to join our team.
OWH firmly believes that our employees are the heart of our success. Through teamwork, dedication and OWH guidelines, our employees thrive individually and as a whole. This position description is designed to outline essential functions and qualifications, not to restrict one’s specified duties, but to summarize expectations and scope of responsibilities to foster individual and group success.
Actively and cooperatively participate as a member of the Research and Lab Services Department to ensure that dietary supplements manufactured at OWH meet quality standards. Perform and complete laboratory work as outlined in the department’s active job responsibility listing.
- Perform tests and evaluations on raw material, intermediate, or finished product for identity, purity, potency, and composition. Uphold high standards of theoretical and practical knowledge to satisfactorily perform tests and evaluations as necessary and interpret data within the laboratory. Cross-train on laboratory skills to provide coverage as needed for laboratory and departmental tasks.
- Provide support and technical assistance/guidance to department staff. This includes guidance regarding techniques, troubleshooting, use of methods, and quality control.
- Review laboratory data and reports for accuracy, content and adherence to departmental and company standards. Ensure that laboratory meets regulatory, specification, and customer requirements in work performed by the department. Consult with regulators, suppliers, and customers and interpret laboratory as needed.
- Input results, move, and release/reject materials in SAGE
- Contribute to research activities as needed
- Participate in continuing education, actively participate in relevant professional associations, attend classes and seminars, and collaborate for publication of papers as needed
- Participate in quality control check programs such as proficiency testing
- Communicate with applicable staff to ensure all applicable policies and procedures of the company are being followed
- Evaluate and introduce where appropriate new laboratory products, equipment, techniques, methodologies for use in tests and evaluations.
- Perform investigations on materials and products that do not conforms with OWH’s quality standards out-of-specification results, and products complaints. Document/submit findings to applicable staff and assist with disposition decisions.
- Follow all company policies and procedures
- Follow and ensure compliance to quality system, Oregon Tilth, Demeter, and cGMP programs
- Through continuing education and training, comply with all OWH Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs) and maintain a clean and orderly work area
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed
Required Skills and/or Experience:
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in chemistry, microbiology, biology, or a closely related field required
- A minimum of three years of laboratory experience in chemistry, microbiology, biology, or a closely related field preferred
- A minimum of 3 years experience with GC-MS
- Background in method development and validation preferred
- Experience with laboratory equipment and instrumentation required
- Experience in a production, quality control, or related field preferred
- Fluency in English (oral and written) required
- Good oral and written communication skills are required
- Able to follow written Standard Operating Procedures
- Able to use simple measuring devices and computers
- Must be dependable, accurate, and possess integrity and commitment to high quality standards
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to perform basic math/algebra functions.
- Ability to work independently
- US citizenship or permanent resident (green card) required
- Job frequently involves sedentary work exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible force frequently or constantly.
- Employee must be able to use test equipment, measuring devices, microscopes and computers.
- Employee must be able to sit, stand, and walk frequently.
- Employee must have ability to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally, with or without lifting aides.
- Employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation.
- Job further involves a variety of physical activities including fingering, talking, hearing, and or, repetitive motions.
- Visual acuity environmental conditions include some exposure to known food allergens and other fine powders in a production and warehouse environment. Also, there is occasional to frequent exposure to chemicals and other hazardous material found in laboratories. However, much time is spent in a typical office or administrative environment.
- Occasional proximity to manufacturing equipment and moving mechanical part can occur.
- Occasional exposure to noise (sometimes loud and sustained) can occur.
OWH is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse culture that values teamwork, integrity, innovations and an unwavering commitment to our customer